Good natural sleep remedies focus upon understanding what disrupts sleep and how to naturally rebalance the sleep cycle. Poor sleep, or insomnia, is one of the main reasons that people wind up talking to me. It is a very serious, widespread problem. I call these poor people he chronically exhausted.?
Natural Sleep Remedies
Although scientists have yet to understand why, most of us know that good sleep is essential to our health and well-being. If we go without sleep long enough, we will die.
Consider a few serious consequences of not getting a good night sleep:
- Shortened life span. Cells regenerate at night. Poor sleep inhibits the body抯 capacity to regenerate itself.
- Increased rate of car wrecks and on the job accidents due to not being alert.
- Increased risk of cancer, diabetes, heart attack, stroke and most other major diseases.
- Agitated state of mind and anxious feelings leading to depression and anxiety disorders. Poor response to stress. Confused thinking and crying fits.
- Poor personal and family relationships due to irritable interactions from sleep deprivation. We are simply not our calm, happy selves. We become angry and snappy at the drop of a hat. We overreact and that drives people away from us. They think that we are chizoids?
- Poor job performance leading to being labeled a dull person that doesn’t cope well with on the job stress. Poor sleep promotes a lack of raises and advancements because employers think that you are asleep at the wheel.
- Excessive weight gain due to lack of energy. People try to get more energy by eating more. People that are sleep deprived tend to eat more refined junk foods and sugar in a vain attempt to get more energy. But after the sugar surge, the poisonous sugar drops them like a rock and they feel lousier than before. Poor sleep (or lack of sleep) sets a person up for hypoglycemia, and diabetes.
My Natural Sleep Remedies
- First, go online and find out if sleep disruption is a side effect of your prescriptions. If this is the case, ask your doctor to switch your prescriptions. Find what works with your body. Many prescriptions that control blood pressure, regulate the heartbeat, prevent strokes, act on the brain and endocrine system, which control and regulate sleep. Some are gentler than others. Discuss this with your doctor, especially if you notice that you are no longer sleeping well after commencing a particular drug.
- Cut out sugar and refined carbohydrates, which hyper excite the brain and body, especially four hours before going to bed. Eating sugar before bed is like taking speed, and disrupts the release of the brain hormone melatonin which signals the brain to put the body to sleep. Additionally, sugar disrupts the release of human growth hormone, which helps to prolong life and keep your weight down.
- Do not drink alcohol before going to bed if you want to sleep soundly. Try not drinking for several night and see if you don抰 wake up much more rested and relaxed. Alcohol may feel like a drowsy depressant before bedtime, but it has a boomerang effect upon the brain and you wake up tired and grumpy because of it.
- If you are not on a MAO inhibitor, or other psychiatric drugs take 3 mg. of time released melatonin before bedtime. Read the label instructions. Melatonin levels drop with age, which is why the very young can sleep through a hurricane and the very old seldom experience good sleep. (Never take melatonin during the day unless you sleep all day after nighttime shift work and even then, make sure your room is dark, or you must wear a sleep mask.)
- If you are very tense at night, take Valerian capsules with the melatonin to drop off to sleep quietly. Follow instructions on label. Valerian is non-addictive and a very relaxing herb. It is so effective that the creators of Valium named it after Valerian. But the big difference is, after hundreds of years of use, Valerian has never been shown to cause psychotic episodes, mind numbing addiction, suicide, and murder as Valium does. (You can’t copy naturelot without consequences.) Valerian being a natural herb cannot be patented or financially monopolized.
- Drink a warm glass of milk, or take two Twin Labs Tri-Boron calcium supplements capsules before going to bed. Calcium soothes the nerves and promotes sound sleep. This particular calcium combo product is one of the finest combination, low cost, products I have ever seen to build healthy bones and ward off osteoporosis.
- Get fifteen minutes of morning, or late afternoon sunshine daily to let light infiltrate the retina of your eyes. Light entering the retinas signals melatonin production in the brain, which is released at night to promote sound sleep. And some daylight sunshine promotes the natural production of Vitamin D to build healthy bones and prevent several forms of cancer, including colon cancer. Wear protective eyeshades the rest of the time outside and don’t forget to take a protective Carotenoid Complex (like Country Life brand) to ward off cataracts and blinding macular degeneration.
- Try to always go to bed several hours before midnight. The circadian sleep cycle actually begins at dark and ends at daybreak. The less true night time hours you sleep the more tired you will feel. Melatonin is only released at night, and has a prescribed number of hours to work to extend your life, prevent cancer and promote good sleep.