it is the formation of a thrombus in the lumen of the inflamed venous wall. The disease occurs mainly in the lower limbs but with the progression of the disease, can go on the upper limb and the veins of the chest and also neck. This is the term doctors basically refers to inflammation or thrombosis of the saphenous superficial veins. When deep vein thrombosis use a term such as phlebothrombosis. Treatment of thrombophlebitis, a very complex process, especially if it is a thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities and deep vein thrombophlebitis.
The main causes of blood clots
- any damages to the walls of the veins (thrombosis can develop even after minor damage to the vessels)
- heredity (a person may be genetically predisposed to clots in the veins)
- slowing of blood flow through the blood vessels, which leads to stagnation of blood in the body (may be due to varicose veins)
- any inflammatory process.
The main factors of disease
- often a long travel in car or plane, which maintains the stationary position of the body
- bed rest (for example, after surgical interventions and operations)
- the stroke that led to paralysis in the upper or lower extremities
- venous catheterization
- puncture veins
- the use of hormonal drugs
- increased blood clotting
- disease of an infectious nature etc.
The symptoms of thrombophlebitis
- seal, redness and tenderness of the affected vein
- observed swelling of the limbs
Superficial thrombophlebitis is characterized by the fact that the patient notes the gradual increase of all these symptoms.
If you have any of these symptoms, you should definitely contact your doctor for advice on treatment or prevention of the disease.
With the defeat of the deep veins (phlebothrombosis) the main symptom believe the swelling of the affected limb. Although this form of the disease, it should be noted that for a long time there may be no symptoms.
If swelling of the limb is expressed by pain and accompanied by fever, cough and shortness of breath, you should immediately call the ambulance.
The symptoms above can indicate deep vein thrombosis, which means the possibility of detachment of thrombus and its migration through the body.
If the disease progresses and there is not only the thrombophlebitis of the extremities, but also the transition of the disease on the body, it could face complications that threaten a person’s life.
The most dangerous of them can be considered a pulmonary embolism (in this disease clots are separated and clog the pulmonary artery, which can lead to a fatal outcome).
With the defeat of the main veins (when there is a blockage of large veins) is developing PTS or post-thrombotic syndrome and chronic insufficiency.
During the examination, the doctor individually selects the minimum necessary research for each case. In order to confirm or exclude the thrombosis, the doctor may ask you to attend one of the diagnostic methods.
Methods of diagnosis of thrombophlebitis
- Ultrasound (the main method used to diagnose this disease)
- computer tomography or magnetic resonance
- the venography
- blood analysis (clinical coagulation).
After the diagnosis is determined, may require additional tests to identify the cause of the disease and to clarify the nature and dynamics of the disease.
Treatment of thrombophlebitis of superficial veins
- drugs that have anti-inflammatory action
- phlebotonics drugs
- elastic bandage
- the compresses.
This form of thrombophlebitis usually does not need hospitalization, treatment is done at home, but under the supervision of a specialist. The treatment has a positive trend only if all the rules of treatment prescribed by the attending physician.
During the progression of the disease (when the upper limit of the clot begins to increase) may require surgical intervention to prevent the spread of thrombosis in the upper body and to prevent the detachment and migration of blood clots.
Surgery mainly involves the ligation of the damaged vein thrombosis and, if possible, the removal of blood clots and varicose veins.
Treatment of deep vein thrombosis
- injections to thin the blood
- drug therapy
- can be prescribed you are taking warfarin (blood thinning drug, but in pill form)
Talk to your doctor about methods of this therapy, after all, is a powerful tool for treatment of the disease, especially if you have acute thrombophlebitis. Upon application and use in the treatment of elastic bandages and individually selected compression hosiery can cure a mild form of thrombosis. Also, this method use for disease prevention.
Implantation of a cava filter
If you have contraindications to the drugs that thin the blood, it is possible to use the treatment device, which is called cava filter. It is installed in the main Vienna of the patient and prevents the migration of blood clots into the lungs. This is a kind of trap for blood clots. It is installed as indefinitely, and for a month. The operation is performed on the filter setting under local anesthesia and requires no hospitalization.
Treatment with surgical intervention
- Combined phlebectomy (varicose vein removal) in combination with non-surgical methods used for prevention of recurrence of thrombosis. Removal of diseased veins does not lead to violation of blood circulation in the limb and can be performed in outpatients.
- Thrombectomy – venous bypass surgery and angioplasty. In some cases, when a certain development of the disease may require surgical intervention. Thrombectomy is aimed at removing patients vein and removal of blood clots from blood vessels, helping if problems arise in thrombosis of the large venous trunks. If the blockage of the veins has for a long time bothers you that much, in such cases, appoint a bypass, or do malotravmaticheskaya intervention angioplasty.
If the disease recurs, it can only mean one thing the problem, the cause of which was to develop a disease, not found and not cured.
If you have a case, you should immediately contact your doctor, and to begin to determine through various methods of diagnosing the cause of the disease, after which, you need to find the necessary medicines to continue treatment until full recovery. And it is possible to completely change the treatment tactics that have not yielded any result in last time.
- vegetables and fruits
- herbal products
- red pepper
Also useful to use a variety of nutritional supplements and vitamins.
Recommendations for lifestyle
- constant and moderate physical activity are welcome Hiking, swimming, Cycling
- you should avoid prolonged exertion
- necessary to exclude heavy physical exercise
- limit static load
- you must wear appropriate compression stockings compression class
- to avoid overheating and dehydration
- to pick up comfortable shoes and orthotics.
In any case, the first thing that you should take is contacting a specialist. The doctor will conduct a thorough inspection, diagnose and if you have the presence of thrombosis, which will give you tips for treatment and prevention.