Inflammation of the tendon that occurs at the site of attachment of tendons and bones is called
. It can spread to all of the tendon up to the muscle. Also, this disease is called tendinosis or tendinopathy. To denote inflammation of the tendon at its attachment to the bone can use the term enthesopathy. The tendon can become inflamed in all joints, but most often it occurs in the hip, elbow, shoulder joints, tendonitis is also found in the region of wrists and feet.
Ankle tendinitis is an inflammation of the knee ligaments, which is the tendon of the thigh muscle (quadriceps) attaches to the tibia, or rather, to its anterior surface.
Inflammation of the tendons that attach on all sides of the hip, called tendonitis of the hip joint. Special attention and early treatment requires hamstring syndrome is inflammation of the tendons that attach to the ischial tuberosity. If time does not begin treatment, the patient can begin to develop a pinched sciatic nerve.
Tendinosis of the elbow joints is divided into separate diseases (depending on which muscle groups were damaged). These diseases are known as baseball elbow, golfer’s elbow, tennis elbow.
Tendinosis, which developed in the shoulder joint, divided as to the several types of the rotator cuff, calcining, of the biceps.
The differences between tendinitis of the strain or tension lies in the fact that during stretching, some of the fibers torn at the same time, and then begins to heal. Place stretching really starting to hurt and become inflamed, forcing the patient to reduce the load on the affected area. During the tendonitis, the gap is permanent, and the healing phase discontinuities are at different stages. Patients perform the same daily load, that is why the treatment of tendinitis often passes into the chronic form of the disease.
Inflammation of the tendons may begin to develop in two cases
- athletes, as a result of inadequate physical activity on the body
- in people older than 40 years, as a result of age-related changes in the body.
Inadequate load can be caused by various factors
- frequent and intense exercise without proper warm-up or in violation exercise technique. Tendonitis of the hip joint can start to develop after hard and frequent strokes of the limb on a hard surface (as a result of a breach of technics of run). When performing sports exercises requiring sharp turns, frequent jumps, bumps on a hard surface (when classes are not in the gym and on the street, on the pavement) if you use received shoes during sports activities. Inflammation of the elbow joint can begin to develop when performing frequent sharp movements of the hands, disorders of equipment in any sport, with proper and frequent performing repetitive sudden movements. Tendonitis of the shoulder develops as a result of increased load during exercise with weights, and insufficient warm-up
- when the anatomical features of the structure of the skeleton. Inflammation of the hip joint develops if a person has a different length of the legs, which is not corrected by wearing special shoes. Knee tendonitis in the curvature of the legs (X – or O-shaped), sprains.
With the age of the person decreases the content of elastin fibers in the body (they provide elasticity and extensibility of the tendons), and the content of collagen fibers (provide rigidity and strength) increases, this is caused by age-related changes in the body, leading to the development of tendinosis.
More rare causes of tendinitis
- infections that are sexually transmitted
- diseases associated with metabolic disorders
- autoimmune diseases
- injuries in tendons.
Tendonitis is characterized by a number of symptoms, the main one pain. She appears initially only after exercise or after prolonged physical exertion on the body. Then the pain become permanent. This is mainly a dull ache that is felt around the cords. Pain only occur when performing active movements, when the joint is at rest, the pain occurs. With pressure on the sore tendon in tendinite, rather than on the area where it is painful.
If intense inflammation may occur redness of the skin, increased body temperature, poor mobility of the joint. You may receive the crunch to region the location of the tendon.
Already in long-term care can sometimes palpable elastic nodule, or several at the location of the inflamed tendon. This is due to the formation of fibrous tissue at the site of damaged. When tendinite the shoulder joint may be a deposition of salts and the formation of calcification (dense nodules). Often ends with tendinitis tendon rupture.
The disease is diagnosed mostly at the stage of examination of the patient. Sometimes they use ultrasound to do the inspection of the joints and surrounding tissues. In some cases it is necessary to do an x-ray of the inflamed places, to exclude the existence of other pathologies that can develop and are accompanied by similar symptoms.
If a person has the disease is diagnosed tendonitis, treatment should be done according to doctor’s recommendations. Initially it is necessary to reduce the load on those muscles, which are inflamed tendon. The limb is not immobilized, but reduce the movements that cause pain. You can use bandages, bandaging joints with elastic bandages. Prescribed physical therapy. It includes various exercises, such as simulators, which allow to reduce the load on the body, exercise stretching muscles, exercises to strengthen muscles.
To relieve pain, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory prescribed medication course of tablets, gels, creams that are applied on the inflamed area, ointment capsaicin.
In rare cases use injections of glucocorticoids, as the hormone may cause the patient to tendon rupture and is able to speed up the process of breaking. People suffering from inflammation of the tendons, as prescribed physiotherapy (electrophoresis, magnetic therapy, phonophoresis).
When shoulder tendinitis is accompanied by formation of high quantities of salts and of calcifications, the total treatment is also shock-wave therapy.
If you have symptoms of pinched sciatic nerve, this is caused by tendonitis of the hip joint, the doctor prescribes a surgical treatment. After conventional conservative treatment is unable to cure the disease, it only temporarily relieves the symptoms.