this is a disease that is inflammatory in nature and affects the synovium of joints and ligaments. The disease is confined to the lesions and is characterized by the accumulation in the cavity inflammatory attacks of exudation. The synovial sheath surrounds the ligaments and joints, and provides them with protection and integrity. She secretes a special lubricating fluid that reduces friction and shock absorption during movement. The most commonly affected large joints. For example, often there is synovitis of the knee, hip synovitis, synovitis of the ankle joint, etc.
Synovitis may carry infectious or non-infectious nature.
Infectious synovitis, the reasons for which lie in the infections may appear due to the penetration into the cavity of the synovial membrane of the blood or lymph of the pathogen, for example, from another infectious source of inflammation in the body. It can be a complication of purulent-inflammatory process, for example, syphilis, tuberculosis, etc. in addition, it can develop if the cavity of the synovial membrane is infiltrated trauma.
Non-infectious synovitis are divided into the following subtypes
- traumatic, which occur as a result of ligament injury or joint. Often found in athletes and in patients with hemophilia
- allergic less common, can be a complication of infectious diseases
- occur with endocrine changes, for example, in diabetics
- neurogenic, which is caused by heavy stress or neurological diseases.
When synovitis affects one joint or ligament, multiple the disease is only occasionally. When the disease such as synovitis, the symptoms can be common to the various forms of the disease.
Common signs of synovitis for all types are
- swelling and smoothing of the contours of the joints
- pain under load, reducing movement in the affected area
- the fever General or in the affected area
- weakness, malaise.
Some of these symptoms can be manifested stronger than the other, but in infectious synovitis, all signs more pronounced than in non-infectious.
The symptoms of infectious forms of infectious synovitis almost always begins acutely, sharply rising body temperature, the pain and bloating in the joints. After a few hours the joint swells, symptoms of intoxication, headache, weakness, anxiety, occasionally also vomiting.
Signs non-infectious forms of the symptoms are non-infectious forms develop more slowly with a considerable variation, which may depend on the cause of the disease. The first symptom is discomfort in the area of the affected joint and pain when the load on it. The disease develops over several days. Gradually manifested swelling, deformity of the joint, increasing pain. If the disease is mild, the symptoms can disappear by themselves, and after the disease may go on its own.
So the diagnosis was confirmed, held puncture, which is the anesthesia of the joint and the puncturing him with a needle to fence synovial fluid and its study. Almost always, this action gives the opportunity to define the tactics of treatment and to build a forecast. However, the specialist may prescribe additional methods of research, for example, ultrasound, x-ray of the joint and blood tests that can distinguish synovitis from other diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Diagnosis and treatment of the disease should be a doctor-a surgeon. The goal of treatment not only to eliminate the disease which was the cause of synovitis, but not to prevent the development of chronic synovitis. The duration of treatment and its characteristics are determined by the causes and nature of disease and the General state of human health and accurate diagnosis.
If the disease is easy, you can tightly wrap the joint for immobilization, while the body alone will not eliminate the process of inflammation. In more serious cases should be held by a puncture, which eliminates excess fluid, and antibiotics or anti-inflammatory apparatus for introducing inside.
A mixture of drugs that will be introduced inside the joint, should depend on the result of the study of the synovial fluid and analysis of possible allergic reactions
- in the presence of bacteria to determine their sensitivity and add to mixture antibiotics, diluted in a solution of anesthetic
- if the bacterial component were not revealed, we use the so-called cocktails against inflammation, which include anti-inflammatory drugs, pain killers and some vitamins. Such mixtures are distinguished by high efficiency and strong anti-inflammatory and regenerating effect.
After the procedures at the affected area is assigned to the UHF or electrophoresis. If this treatment does not bring results, what happens in extreme cases, surgery is performed aimed at the complete or partial removal of the synovial membrane.
The success of treatment, as well as its duration directly depends on the time of diagnosis and time of treatment.
If you have such problems as synovitis, the treatment was made correctly and in a timely manner, almost always there is a full recovery and preservation of the functions of the joint. The process of treatment of the disease lasts for 48 days, after the next phase of recovery and prevention, which takes 12 weeks.
In synovitis, the following are possible complications
- the decline in traffic as a result of changes in the surface of the joints or synovium
- the spread of the process to other areas of the ligamentous apparatus
- the most serious and dangerous complication is sepsis, which can pose a threat to life. Sepsis is the appearance of the pathogen in the blood, which can occur in people with weak immune systems or during a long absence of treatment.
The essence of the prevention of synovitis is time to provide treatment of the inflammatory diseases that can trigger it. It is very important to observe safety precautions when playing sports to prevent of falls and injuries, eat right to strengthen the ligaments and prevent synovitis of the joints or ligaments.