it is a disease that has an inflammatory nature of the genitourinary channel, joints and eyes.
Reiter syndrome belong to the group of reactive arthritis pathogenic processes of an inflammatory nature, affecting the musculoskeletal system due to the development of infectious processes in joints. In most cases, affects the genito-urinary system or intestinal tract. Sick in most part of the observed cases of men at a young age, much less frequently observed Reiter’s disease in women.
The progress of the disease begins with the process of the inflammatory nature of the genitourinary system of the body, namely
inflammation, damaging the bladder,
the inflammatory process in the area of the urethra or
process inflammatory of the prostate gland.
The specialists noted the following symptoms of the disease Reiter’s
Problems of the urogenital system
- stinging, burning, itching during urination
- frequent the elimination of urine
- the appearance of redness in the outer holes of the channel of excretion of urine
- discharge from the area of the urethra.
- develops inflammation of the mucous membrane of the eye
- the sensation of pain
- redness of the eyes
- increased secretion of lacrimal fluid
- photophobia, which is manifested by pain and tears with a high level of brightness.
The defeat of the joints
- most of the cases, inflammation of the joints of the lower limb knee, ankle, joint stop
- characteristic is the progress of the inflammatory process in the small number of joints (up to three)
- in most cases, this process takes place asymmetrically
- you can change the color of the skin in the area of the affected joint from redness to acquisition bluish-purple color
- edematous process in the affected joint. In the case of lesions of the fingers in most cases there is swelling of the entire finger
- possible inflammatory process of the joints of the vertebral region and the sacroiliac joint, which is manifested by pain and feeling of stiffness in the morning time of the day in the respective zones.
In addition to the specific symptomatic pattern may be a manifestation of the following symptoms of Reiter’s syndrome
- possible modifications of other bodies, but it occurs in a very small number of cases
- inflammation of the joints ligaments and tendons with bones pain, are swollen processes
- skin red spots or red, rising above the skin surface irregularities
- can be area of thickened, rough skin with cracks and scaling on a red background. The most frequent location of these changes are soles and palms
- mucous membranes of disease-causing ulcers of the mouth and genitals
- less common inflammatory processes in the lung area, kidneys, the heart muscle.
Reiter syndrome in women is manifested by the same symptoms as and Reiter’s syndrome in children or men.
The incubation period of the disease lasts over a period of time that ranges from three days to two months from the date of transfer of the patient the inflammatory process afflicting the urinary tract or the intestines.
The nature of the disease allows to distinguish three main forms of the disease Reiter’s
- acute Reiter’s syndrome, occurring up to six months
- the protracted form of the disease, the duration of the progress which lasts within 612 months
- during the pathogenic process in excess of one year are diagnosed with a chronic form of the disease Reiter.
Experts have identified the following causes of Reiter’s disease
- the predisposition of a genetic nature
- an infectious process affecting the urinary system or the bowel of a patient that develops due to exposure to chlamydia, Shigella, Salmonella, Yersinia.
The most significant risk factor is considered to be chlamydia, which becomes a cause of the inflammatory process of the urogenital system. To penetrate into the organism the microorganism can through the use of common household items, tools, hygiene purpose or sexual act.
For the qualitative diagnosis of the disease Reiter uses the following diagnostic methods and measures
- the implementation of the collection and subsequent analysis of the development of the disease and the patient’s
- conduct a General inspection, when the technician checks the condition of the skin eyes, organs belonging to the urinary system, and also determines the level of mobility, pain in the joints and swelling
- implementation of laboratory tests. In the diagnosis of Reiter’s syndrome is not allocated a special test, but the results of the survey can detect the presence and development of inflammation
- implementation of scraping, which is taken from the mucous membrane of the canal for excretion of urine, eyes, cervix. Also the scraping is taken from the joint which is affected by the inflammatory process
- radiographs of joints may show metamorphosis in case of prolonged inflammatory process
- it is also possible to conduct a consultation with the therapist.
Treatment of Reiter’s syndrome are primarily directed to promptly eliminate the focus of the inflammatory process. For this, the doctor appoints drugs that provide antibiotic effect on the body of the patient, helps to eliminate harmful microorganisms from the body.
The treatment of the inflammatory process in the development of Reiter’s disease includes the following therapeutic measures and techniques
- the introduction of glucocorticoids into the body of the patient. Drugs are injected into the joint or by using drops for the eyes
- the use of nonsteroidal drugs anti-inflammatory action
- the use of drugs cytotoxic principle
- the appointment to the patient of genetically engineered drugs that promote the elimination of deviations in immune processes.