Cancer of the urethra
a relatively rare malignancy that occurs predominantly in women. It is characterized by tumors located in the distal or proximal, but most often in the region of the meatus, at the junction in front of the squamous epithelium of the vulva.
The causes of cancer of the urethra
Common reasons causing the disease include cancer of the bladder, the presence of chronic or inflammatory diseases (including sexually transmitted), age 60 years.
(inflammation of the urethra, provoked by infection)
- a narrowing of the urethra
- indiscriminate change of sexual partners
- sex without protection
- catheterization of the bladder causing trauma to the urethra and the development of inflammatory processes.
At risk for cancer of the urethra women after 50-60 years, where the tumor develops after the cessation of menstruation (menopause).
The prevalence of the disease
Urethral cancer is not common it is diagnosed in 1% or less of the total number of cancers of the genitourinary system. While cancer of the urethra is diagnosed more often in women than in men (ratio, 41).
Cancer symptoms urethral
The symptoms of cancer, depending on the form, include the presence of small clear discharge (early stages), and bloody purulent discharge (in later stages), difficulty urinating (up to full delay). The diagnosis can confirm the seals that you define, the pain when urinating. For cancer the characteristic formation of fistulas and purulent cavities near the urethra, swelling of the feet and the genitals, incontinence, etc.
Depending on the size of the tumor, there are 4 stages of cancer of the urethra at first the tumor extends into the deeper layers of the urethra, does not have a separate metastases in the second the tumor expands in all layers of the channel, but does not have a separate metastases in a third of the affected inguinal lymph nodes and lymph nodes in the pelvic area, separate metastases are not detected at the fourth the tumor extended to the walls of the vagina and adjacent organs, lymph nodes there are metastases in the liver, brain, lungs, bones.
Treatment of cancer of the urethra
The choice of treatment depends on the prevalence and location of the tumor, degree of differentiation of cancer cells. Specialists use a comprehensive treatment
- radiation therapy radiation for destruction of cancer cells local (with the introduction of the emitter into the urethra) and remote type
- chemotherapy intravenous drugs that destroy cancer cells
- surgery several types with the removal of warty, with removal of the urethra, vaginal walls and uterus, with the introduction into the urethra of the resectoscope and cutting of the tumor with the wall of the urethra.
For diagnosis and treatment of cancer of the urethra should address to experts to the urologist and
. Find the best doctors and sign up to them for an appointment on the website