- The main reasons for discolouration of teeth
- Composite bonding
- Veneer bonding
- Video – Dental Treatments: Coronal Teeth Polishing : Coronal Teeth Polishing: Cleaning Instruments
Dental bonding can be indicated for many problems of teeth. Whenever there is discolouration of the natural; tooth and other minor defects, composite bonding resins are indicated. It improves the aesthetic appearance of the teeth.
1The main reasons for discolouration of teeth
– Tobacco stains due to consumption of tobacco products.
– Tea stains and coffee stains
– Yellowish stains are common in old age people
– Accumulation of plaque can produce yellowish appearance of teeth.
– Blueberry and cherries can cause discolouration
– Over consumption of specific antibiotics during pregnancy can cause discolouration of teeth of foetus
– Injury to nerve which causes damage to pulp can cause black, grey or brown discolouration of teeth.
Scaling is the first procedure done to remove the adhered substances followed by composite resin or porcelain veneers to mask the discoloured surfaces of teeth. This kind of treatment gives uniformity to the teeth.
Composite bonding and veneer bonding are two types of treatment done:
Preparation of tooth surface is done. Acid etching is done on the surface of the teeth to create grooves on the teeth for better bonding.
The shade selection of the composite material is done and placed on the tooth surface. Then, the restoration is contoured followed by light curing the restoration. The final restoration is then finished by polishing.
After preparation of tooth surface, impression of the prepared tooth surface taken. Shade selection is done. Then, the remaining procedures are carried out on the laboratory. Porcelain veneer is prepared by the laboratory technician. It should match the tooth contour and colour of the remaining teeth. Cementation of the veneer is done with a cementing agent. It remains for long duration. It matches the tooth colour as well.
Dental bonding is indicated in following cases:
– Carious teeth which can be restored with composite resin
– Fractured teeth or cracked teeth
– Tooth with spaces in between them. It can be restored with composite resin.
– Discoloured teeth to improve aesthetics
– Cases where morphology of tooth needs to be altered
– Recession of gums
– Alternative procedure for amalgam restorations
– Teeth which appear smaller
Dental bonding can be done on almost all types of tooth. In carious cavities it is indicated in cases where there are small and medium sized cavities and contraindicated in large carious tooth.
The entire procedure of composite resin restoration takes place for about half an hour to one hour. Hence, both the patient as well as dentist feels comfortable and convenient about the procedure.
4Video – Dental Treatments: Coronal Teeth Polishing : Coronal Teeth Polishing: Cleaning Instruments