1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

Back trouble?

Does anyone out there think it’s disgraceful that effective treatment for ‘mechanical’ back problems is not available on the NHS, and that (not all but most) doctors do not point suffering patients in the direction of those who could help?



I don’t know really what you meanby mechanical back problems but I was slightly horrified when I went to my dr around 6months ago with what turned out to be a damaged disc andhad to ask for physio. It got worse after I saw the dr and in a few days I could hardly walk, I luckily ended up with a fab physio who I saw for nearly 2 months, but I wouldn’t have got that treatment had I not had the wherewithall to ask for it.


Yes I think that is disgraceful- they can help treat diseases so why not back problems. The NHS is a mess and the public are suffering for it of course. Sorry to hear about your back problem, hope you find some good professional help.




this sounds like another story where because off the a**hole people that complain about imaginary back pain to claim disability etc, seem to screw it up for those that have genuine problems.
If the country wasn’t so busy with expenisve Domes or football stadiums then maybe they’d have some extra cash to pump into the nhs!


Not sure what you mean by “mechanical back problems.” I had a car accident 18 months ago, I damaged by back, went to the hospital, they done a x-ray, nothing was broken and I was sent home with a packet of paracetamol. Went back to my own doc. Same response she handed me pain killers. Eventually I went privately to a physi. I’m still attending him today but without him I would never have recovered. Doctors need to actually treat the problem not just give out drugs. Before the accident I was going to the gym 3 – 4 times and week, now I can’t go at all the only exercise I can do is swimming or walking and I can’t wear heels.


There r a large number of diseases 4 which “effective” treatment is not available. These r life long ailments which require palliative treatment most of the time. A lingering backache is one of these.
Only those patients suffering from backache r referred 2 the consultants/neuro-surgeons who have serious complications like numbness in the body below the point of pain
, retention of urine etc. In most other cases, one has 2 learn 2 live with the problem.
Nothing disgraceful.


well i can only disagree where my back problems are concerned …the doctor took me seriously give me pain relief sent me for an MRI scan which in turn found the problem and am now due to have an operation on my back ..i understand some doctors don’t always take back problems too serious but surely they can tell the difference with people who have run of the mill back aches to others who can hardly walk and should treat accordingly.if its yourself who is having the trouble and you think its more than simple back ache go back to Dr’s and complain and keep going until you are heard ….


There are a multitude of muscles, ligaments, and other soft tissues which can be “torqued” out of alignment, leading to back pain. These are tissues which will not show up on an Xray and may even appear normal on an MRI or CT scan. An injury can push you out of alignment for a short period of time…enough to ramp up your defenses to guard against any movement and lead to constant pain. The bottom line is this…if you are having lower back pain, a gentle flexibility program is where you will start. It may not help the first day or two, but it will help by lowering your body’s defenses against movement. You will also need to practice good body mechanics with all activities by avoiding any bending or twisting of the trunk (If you’re in bad pain, you’ve already figured out how to do this). Definately get into physical therapy, if you can, as they can further the treatment with a variety of manual treatments and modalities as adjuncts to your regimine. There may not be a cookbook answer for the terms surrounding lower back pain, but there is an answer for it. The most important thing is to be patient, because it does take time. Good luck!


I suffered with mt back or 10 years eventually when i couldn’t get off the floor and had to wee in a bowel was I taken seriously
I was 27 when it stated
to be honest the best thing is rest and think before you do anything
pain killers diclofenic helped, i couldn’t trust anyone as it was too painful to exercise or touch the area
eventually I has l4-5 lumber laminectomy and was told i would need further treatment at a latter date
there is light at the end of the tunnel I thought of suicide at my lowest points,


Physio’s the go. definitely! Worked for me!


My wife has had a problem with her right leg going numb , this has been ongoing for 15 years on regular visits to the doctors (quacks) they told her that she had arthritis in her hips and would need replacing later in life , she is now 53.
Eventually she acquired an appointment with a specialist and after a long drawn out series of visits she had an MRI scan ,and 3 months after had a Dexa scan, where they found she had fractured her spine at some time , and now the segment has a squashed wedge shape, TOO late to do anything about it . she still loses the feeling in her leg and while walking has to stop and lean on something , she finds it painfull and embarrassing , women defiantly have a higher pain threshold, It just shows that your GP should refer you to a specialist at an early stage.